A lot of things have changed through the years, but one thing has not, and that is the Schmidt commitment to customers, by providing them with the utmost quality of service and product. “We are not fully satisfied until you are.”-Eric Schmidt
The Schmidt family and nursery has a long history in the Madison area. The Schmidt Nursery’s origins date back to 1884 when it was founded in Milwaukee, by R.O. Schmidt, a German immigrant. In 1922 the name was brought to Madison by his son R.W. Schmidt where it became a well established institution.
In 1962 R.W. died and left his business to his son Harvey Schmidt, Sr. Harvey rapidly expanded the business which resulted in the need for a larger facility.
The new facility was located on the corner of Irish Lane and Fish Hatchery Road. The Schmidt name bore its presence on Irish Ln until 1988 when Harvey sold the Greenhouse and scaled back to a much smaller facility in rural Belleville. In 1997 Harvey helped his youngest sons, Eric and Tylor, found their small business. The Schmidt brothers’ business began focusing on landscape maintenance while assisting Harvey with nursery and landscape construction operations. By 2001 the Schmidt brothers were managing their own landscape construction projects. To this day the Schmidt brothers manage operations out of their rural Belleville facility. Sadly in May of 2002 Harvey Schmidt passed away after a courageous battle with ALS.